Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Dan's House - Haymarket, Sydney

Having heard about the new peking duck place on George street, Dan's House, I knew I had to give it a try. Tucked upstairs, the space is relatively modern, and is fairly empty on a late weeknight visit. 

The menu is described as 'Artistic Conceptual Cuisine' or in simpler terms, modern Chinese

The menu is fairly extensive with lots of pictures for those visually inclined 

Five spice pork knuckle - this isn't my pick, and is a little too strange, cold and gelatinous for me (but I suppose that's how it's supposed to be!) I like the little jelly cubes though. 

Stir fried snake beans with pork and prawn - this dish always goes down well, especially with rice. 

And of course, we couldn't come without trying the so called signature dish, Peking Duck:

I liked how they had a dish with a few different sauces to accompany

Warming duck broth that came with the Peking duck

Verdict? 

Pretty presentation, the dish is served with a lot of duck meat - I would've liked a bit more crispiness to the skin though. 

Not bad - I wouldn't mind trying some other dishes next time, instead of the Peking duck. 

Dan's House on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

Vivian - vxdollface said...

mum and bro went recently and they weren't impressed by the food, been hearing a lot of mixed reviews about this place, not sure if i'm still keen on trying it out. I like the presentation of the peking duck though

chocolatesuze said...

service and food can be a bit hit and miss but zomg the lamb ribs are amaaaaazing

SarahKate (Mi Casa-Su Casa) said...

I love the look of of that bowl of duck broth... just the thing on a cold day like today. Still not sure whether I want to give this place a go.

sugarpuffi said...

i head the place is quite exxy. shame about the non crispy duck

Nic@diningwithastud said...

Non-crispy duck skin makes me sad :(

thanhalang said...

I am going there in a few weeks, looking forward to it.

missklicious said...

Viv - The food that I tried wasn't amazing, but not bad either, it does seem a bit hit and miss

suze - ooh, will try them next time. As good as Jow's lamb ribs at ms g's? :P The service was pretty good (for a chinese restaurant) when I went, but that might have been because it was pretty much empty!

SarahKate - I know what you mean, there's so many nice places around that it's hard to give a place with hit and miss reviews a go

It's freezing at the moment, could use some duck broth right now!

sugarpuffi - Didn't seem THAT exxy, but probably could get better value elsewhere

Nic - I know :( The crispy skin is the best bit! It's like roast pork without the crackling

joey@FoodiePop said...

Many people have commented on the non-crispy duck skin; how can that be?

Anonymous said...

went there on a coupon $39.00 it started like this sorry that entree not available only this one and again sorry this dessert only available then when we ordered two only one came forgot about the second one ...then the duck came????? the smallest amount you could possibly imagine totally disappointed with the whole place would not recommend

hondadick said...

not worth the money would not recommend the DUCK?? if you were hungry......

Anonymous said...

Guys if you are thinking of giving this place a try i suggest go for it! I went when it was grand opening and thought it was ok, then during lunch they had the special which is like 8 dollars for a bowl of noddles! For the price it is cheap and the food is delicious! Give it a go during lunch if you can't make up your mind and don't want to risk paying the full price.

cheers