Thursday, 7 June 2012

Tetsuya's - Kent St, Sydney

Tetsuya's is one of those special occasion restaurants that you just have to tick off your 'food bucket list', my birthday was a good of an excuse as any to go for a long and leisurely Saturday lunch.

Lovely sourdough to start the meal off with the infamous truffled butter slathered on for good measure. 

Amuse bouche - 
Chilled pea soup with bitter chocolate sorbet

This was an interesting concept, I liked the flavoursome chilled pea soup, but did particularly like (or get) the bitter chocolate sorbet component. 

Overlooking the beautiful Japanese garden outside the restaurant

Savoury custard with avruga

This on the other hand, was amazing. The custard was like silk and melted in my mouth. 

Salad of kingfish with blackbean and orange

Fresh sashimi of kingfish paired nicely with zesty orange flavours

New Zealand scampi with chicken liver parfait and walnut vinaigrette

Confit of Petuna ocean trout with fennel, unpasteurised ocean trout caviar

The signature Tetsuya's dish.

Steamed tian of Queensland spanner crab with curd, foie grais, junsai

Roasted breast of quail with quail leg rillettes

Seared fillet of grass-fed Cape grim beef with wasabi and braised mustard seeds

Pear sorbet, Bread and butter pudding

What's better than one dessert? 2 in 1, of course! 

Floating island with praline and creme anglaise

This was such a heavenly and light dessert, with fluffy meringue under the delicious praline and creme anglaise

Latte

Petit fours - truffles and pink macarons

I don't know if it's the extremely high expectations I had for Tetsuya's, but I'm not quite sure it lived up to them. The meal was great, and the service was impeccable, but I wasn't blown away.

Tetsuya's on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Nic@diningwithastud said...

I felt the same about my Tets experience. Im glad we did it but I wouldnt do it again and $700 later, Im not sure it was worth it

Vivian - vxdollface said...

I sort of felt the same way.. but my parents said it was similar to his style from when it was in Rozelle. Went for by 18th birthday but still really enjoyed it

heyitsjustmeT said...

The dishes look great, but I do get what you mean. I'm still going to look forward to my first time here though, and maybe I shouldn't have high expectations, so that I could be surprised :)

tastyfoodsnaps said...

the Steamed tian of Queensland spanner crab with curd looks like something id LOVE! :)

missklicious said...

Nic - It's definitely one to check off the 'to eat' list, so in that sense, I think it's worth it, but I'm not in a hurry to go back

Vivian - I still enjoyed it too, but I think it must be the super high expectations!

heyitsjustmeT - It's still a lovely experience anyway, and Tetsuya's is definitely up there on the list of 'to try'!

tastyfoodsnaps - that was a really nice dish!