Sunday, 9 September 2012

Hartsyard - Newtown, Sydney

So I'm at the airport at the mo, waiting for a midnight flight to Seoul. All the shops are closed, so it's the perfect opportunity to blog! Here's a place that I've been raving about ever since I've been:

Delicious deep fried chicken and oysters on english muffins. I'm sold! Hartsyard is so enjoyable that I end up making two trips there in just as many weeks. 

You need to get in early for a Friday or Saturday booking, as they are very popular - both times I've only been able to get the nanna dining time slot (6:00pm) this suits fine though during the cold, drizzly winter months.

Hartsyard is run by husband and wife team, Gregory & Naomi, and is an inviting and friendly space from the moment you walk in.

Hartsyard Manhattan - Bacon-infused Jack Daniel's, sweet vermouth, bitters, maple syrup

Don't be alarmed by the bacon, it's actually quite a subtle and smooth flavour

Jamaican Mule - Appleton rum, fresh lime, ginger ale, bitters

This was a refreshing dandelion salad of some sort (doesn't seem to be on the menu anymore)



Hand's down my favourite dish at Hartsyard.  The heavenly morsels they call Oyster Po Boys - a must try.

Crispy Pig Tails - buttermilk dressing, pickles, hot sauce

Salmon cooked in a jar - Creme fraiche, sorrel, cornichon

So summery and fresh, would like to recreate! Has anyone poached stuff in a jar at home with success?

Delicious salmon in the jar 

Another highlight - Cold fried smoked chicken, with buttermilk biscuit and low country sausage gravy

Seriously good fried chicken. Drool. 

Smoked beef short-rib with Sunga's kimchi and bone marrow - I loved the rich smoky flavour of the ribs, and yes, that big hulk of a thing is the bone marrow. I didn't hack into it, but was assured it was completely delicious.


Maine Lobster roll - with lobster mayo, tarragon, kettle chips

Ox tongue dish - I only tried a little square of the tongue as I can't usually stomach the thought of eating tongue. It was really tender and flavoursome.

Deep fried cheesecake - yuzu, popcorn ice cream, blueberry and honeycomb

Peanut butter and banana sundae - pretzel ice cream, banana doughnut, salted fudge

Desserts were decadent and amazing. I preferred the cheesecake, but that sundae is pretty glorious too.

This post just made me hungry :/

Hartsyard on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Popcorn said...

The food looks amazing!

Missy Piggy said...

Oyster Poboys = yummy!

OohLookBel said...

Food looks delicious. Thanks for the tip on booking early.

mashi said...

Yum, everything you've posted looks really good, esp the Oyster Po Boys. I am hungry after reading your post too :)

♥ Denise ♥ said...

The peanut butter & banana sundae won! these photos really make me hungry >_<